The University of Midwifery Education & Studies (AVMU) is one of the best study programmes at Zuyd, located in Maastricht near Maastricht University. There is intensive collaboration between both knowledge institutes and organisations in the professional field of midwifery.
Zuyd’s core values are closely linked to the daily activities at the AVMU:
- together we create the future: each day we move further towards a future-focused midwifery. We do this together with other organisations involved in professional midwifery practices, research and education;
- ambitious: in 2012 we were once again chosen as the best full-time midwifery study programme in the Netherlands (Keuzegids Hoger Onderwijs 2012, i.e. the 2012 Guide to Higher Education). Midwifery Science, AVMU's fast-growing research department, develops knowledge, which in turn is used in the midwifery introduction programme as well as in the training courses and consultancy of Life Long Learning;
- innovative: relevant new developments in the midwifery field are translated into quality training programmes by the centre for Life Long Learning;
- an expert in the field: for years now the best midwifery programme in the Netherlands, a research group that receives various research grants and conducts the successful training courses of Lifelong Learning;
- inspiring and open, personal attention and personal responsibility: students commend the personal attention and open information that they receive beforehand, for example, about the study load. The professional field is an enthusiastic partner, both for the extra training and postgraduate courses and as a co-educator for the internships.
In short: the future of midwifery starts today at the AVMU!